Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

ISBN: 978146975878
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: McElderry Books
Series: The Infernal Devices, #1
Page Count: 479 pages

     GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:
"Orphan Tessa Gray, sixteen, crosses the ocean from New York to find her brother Nate in Victorian London, her only possession a clockwork angel necklace from her mother. She is ignorant of her power to transform; the Dark sisters are not. They kidnap her for the Magister, who wants to marry Tessa and claim her power.

Shadowhunters, warriors of angel blood, battle demons and keep the peace in the Downworld of vampires, warlocks and other supernaturals. Orphan teen Shadowhunters Jem, Will, and Jess rescue Tessa and agree to help save Nate. Vengeful vampire Lady Camille Belcourt and her current lover, warlock Magnus Bane provide entrée to the Magister's secret Pandemonium Club"

     REVIEW:

WHAT I LIKED:

  • The plot. Somehow, even with its similarities to the Mortal Instruments, and poor writing taken into consideration, the plot got me. The plot always gets me at some point with Clare's books. She is truly an author I hate to...like (I cant bring myself to say love).
  • Jem. Love him. Though, I cant quite say I am team Jem yet. I'm a sucker for a bad boy. Clearly Tessa is too, and though I found Will...plain old corny at times, I still like him. What woman can resist a tortured soul? (apparently I cannot).
  • The love triangle. I am not a fan of triangles normally, but this one is kind of subtle. Like, she's totally into Will, and acknowledges some confusion about Jem, but shes not out there like Bella saying "No, I totally love Will [Edward], but I want you to give me attention, Jem [Jacob]." So I can kind of dig a well-put-together triangle. Wonder how long it will stay tolerable, though.
  • I didn't find it as predictable as I thought it would be. Now, don't get me wrong - there are tons of similarities between MI and ID but I was expecting to be bored by this one entirely. I was bored at first, yes, but by the end I was screaming obscenities in my bedroom and slapping Sean in the arm while he tried to watch TV, whining to him about my outrages.


WHAT I DIDNT LIKE:

  • It took well over 150 pages for this book to get interesting. I dragged through the first three quarters of the book so badly. It wasnt until more than half-way through that I started wanting to read the book, rather than forcing myself to.
  • I've never been a fan of Clare's writing. We can all admit it, she's just OK. Occasionally she says something deep, but otherwise its choppy, lame, and at times, awkward. I guess its not bad enough that I cant get past it, though.


     RATING:  (3 stars)

          I will definitely read the next two in the series, especially since some fellow bloggers urged me through this one and told me that the next two are much better. That happens often in series; the first book is kind of a set-up book, and the rest contain all the awesomeness. I hope that is the case here. My main issue is the awkwardness of Clare's writing, which doesn't surprise me because I read 4 out of 5 of her Mortal Instruments series, which I do like (just not love), so I did know what I was getting into. But somehow, I'm laying in bed last night trying to finish the last thirty pages (finally), and Clare's freakin' plot has me yelling things out and pounding my fist on the bed, with Sean doing his best to nod and agree with things he has no clue what I am talking about! She pulled it out in the end, I suppose, and I hope I enjoy the next two more.

Have any of you read this one? What did you think?
If you've read the series, do you agree with other bloggers than getting through this so-so book was worth it, and the next two are better? Or am I wasting my time here? I'd love to hear your opinions!

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.