Saturday, July 27, 2013

Book-to-Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

IMDB.COM SUMMARY:
Released: November 16, 2001 
"Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

REVIEW:

Wow, well isnt that summary an understatement for this magical beginning to Rowling's wonderful world?! How can you not love this movie? Before last week, I hadnt watched it in ages. I usually watch movies 3, 5, 6 and 7-part 2. I dont know why, but those are the ones I usually gravitate to.  Even Sean, whom I've been with for almost 7 years, told me he doesnt think he had ever seen this one with me! I know - crazy right?! So, anyhow, watching it was really refreshing for me. I got to experience the first movie all over again, and also got to look at it from a review standpoint. Sean says I was "working" while watching it. Its true, I was. Taking notes and whatnot. What I came up with was that, based on how movies are usually butchered when transformed into movies, this one was great. There were a few things that were changed or left out, as always. That doesnt bother me much and I'm used to it. Obviously they cant put everything into the movie. But Some things did, such as:

  •  When Hagrid goes to get Harry from the hut on the rock, they leave immediately after he tells Harry everything. What sense does that make? It was midnight when you went to get him, Hagrid, why would you take an 11-year-old out shopping at midnight. And how long did it take them to get wherre they were going, because in the next scene, it was morning and they were about to go into the leaky cauldron!
  • No Peeves. Enough said.
  • Skips the wizard's duel that Malfoy challenges Harry to in the book, and they kind of just stumble upon the third floor corridor without Neville.
  • In the Mirror of Erised, Harry only sees his mom and dad, not his whole family. This kind of disappointed me. I think its really important that Harry saw where he came from, and that his parents came from somewhere too, ya know? I wanted to see the knobbly-kneed grandpa!
  • Hagrid's dragon simply gets taken away. They completely skip the entire scene where Harry and Hermione bring the dragon up to the tower for Charlie's friends, and they get detention simply for being late at Hagrids. And Ron gets detention instead of Neville. WTF!
  • Completely skips Snape's logic defense! Which, mind you, was my favorite out of all of them! NOT FAIR!
  • Harry attacks Quirrell rather than the other way around, and instead of Quirrell being abandoned by Voldemort and subsequently dying, Harry's attack causes Quirrell to disintegrate and then Harry passes out after that. That was an outrage!

The above listed things were the things that were changed which, to me, didnt need to be in order to make a good movie. They changed a bunch of other things, but either they didnt bother me, or I knew they were changed or left out for the good of the movie. But the things I listed, I cannot forgive.

Anyhow, what I did like was how the magicality (is that a word?) of it all came to life on screen, and it was action-packed and stayed true to the overall idea of the book. Even with the things that I listed that were changed, which I mentioned are unforgivable, I love this movie so much and I'm so glad I finally sat down to watch it after so many years.

How do you guys, as fans of the books, feel about the first movie? Do you agree with me, and think those things are unforgivable? Do you think there were other things left out that were also unforgivable? I'd love to hear what you think! :)

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.