Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Settings I'd Like to See More of

It's Top Ten Tuesday ya'll!..... Okay, the ya'll was unecessary because I'm very much from New York, and I dont say that. "Yo" just didnt seem appropriate, though. Anyway, TTT is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's topic: What settings would you like to see or see more of in books?

This is another really tough one for me, TTT! I dont know that I can think of ten places I'd like to see. Well lets start with one:

1.  I'd like to see more other-planet settings. I know there's tons of sci-fi space travel stuff going on, but I want something non-cheesy or over the top that is set on an actual new planet, not just on a ship traveling to a never-before-seen planet.
 
2.  Small towns. I've read quite a few adult fiction series set in small towns and I'd like to see more YA like that. I think it is special feeling like you're part of that community, and knowing everyone's name, etc.
 
3.  Okay, how about a dystopian novel set in a futuristic non-America country. It seems as though a lot of the YA (or even adult) dystopian novels are set in futuristic America or parts of America. I mean I guess that might not be true, and the author just doesnt let on that they are in futuristic Germany or whatever. Okay mayebe the book doesnt have to be set there, but can they at least acknowledge that the rest of the world exists?
 
4.  More places like Hogwarts! I mean, I know, and I've come to terms with the fact that no one will ever write like, create worlds like or simply be like J.K. Rowling... sigh... but I need something more. Not necessarily more Harry Potter, though I would just die, and that seems like it would be a very wise course of action for her.... anyway.. I want someone to create an entire world like that again, a world I want to be a part of. I know its not a specific setting, but...

5. Definitely Ireland. I've loved every romance novel I've ever read set in Ireland, and that amounts to maybe five. How about some more! How about some YA or sci-fi set in Ireland. I can imagine the myths and legends in Ireland would set an amazing story in an amazing place.
 
Thats about all I've got. Not quite a top ten, but a top five at least. :)
 
What settings are you looking for in a book?
 
Manda C.

13 comments:

  1. Great list, I agree with all these! Especially non-US dystopian settings. And more Hogwarts! YES PLEASE! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced Rowling cant stay away from Hogwarts. Our wishes will come true eventually!

      Delete
  2. Small towns always make for a fun setting for a story. Ireland would be fun too, I think I've only read about two or three books set there *blushes*

    Here's my list of 10 places for this week's TTT =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I just read a book set in a small town and I liked it a lot. I enjoy a well used setting in a book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list! I get so tired of writers pretending that the US is the only country that exists when writing dystopians - as if the world can't end somewhere else because it's not the center of attention. LOL!

    I'd love to see more YA in small towns as well. What I hate is when they try to set it in a small town but write as if said small town is a city...a town of 5,000 people has a huuuuge school with all sorts of extra classes and stuff, or several huge rival schools in the same town...always makes me shake my head! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! At least try to be realistic and believable!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Good point about your dystopians set in non North America. Cinder, by Marissa Meyer is set in China I believe but thats the only one I'm aware of :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to read that one! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. I so agree with a dystopian novel not actually set in NA. Everything is way too focussed around the US when it comes to dystopians that it would be nice if we could see some range. This doesn't really count, but one of my favourite dystopian-esque novels, set in North Mexico, kinda mixes up the scenery a bit. It's called House of the Scorpion. Definitely check that one out of you haven't already! My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely counts. I havent read it but it sounds awesome!

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  7. EEESH!!! I can't believe I forgot Ireland! I love Ireland!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree about Hogwarts, and on that note love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! As I'm sure you can tell, I'm a big HP fan.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.