Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

ISBN: 9780439136365
Released: in 1999
Series: Harry Potter #3
Page Count: 435 pages

     GOODREADS.COM SYNOPSIS:

Harry Potter is lucky to reach the age of thirteen, since he has already survived the murderous attacks of the feared Dark Lord on more than one occasion. But his hopes for a quiet term concentrating on Quidditch are dashed when a maniacal mass-murderer escapes from Azkaban, pursued by the soul-sucking Dementors who guard the prison. It's assumed that Hogwarts is the safest place for Harry to be. But is it a coincidence that he can feel eyes watching him in the dark, and should he be taking Professor Trelawney's ghoulish predictions seriously?
     REVIEW:

WHAT I LIKED:
  • Writing, world-building, story-telling - all of the things that are always wonderful in a Harry Potter book. It'll probably get old saying it but its always amazing.
  • Ron's character development was something I enjoyed very much. Its not like Harry and Hermione didnt develop a ton also, its just that Ron really stood out to me, especially when they were all helping Hagrid do research for Buckbeak's hearing and appeal. At one point, when Harry didn't have the time, Ron was doing all of the research because he also truly cared about Hagrid and Buckbeak. I mean, we knew he had feelings before but its just nice to see them put out there and actually watch him develop.
  • This book really started to make me feel pure excitement reading certain scenes such as the final quidditch match against Slytherin. I felt my heart pounding with excitement as if I was there watching the game. I felt real fear for Harry and his friends when Sirius dragged Ron into the Whomping Willow. Definitely attributed to Rowling's writing, but also to the story getting more serious and more "real".

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE 
  • Snape's downright crazy state when he caught them in the Shrieking Shack and also when he finds out Sirius has escaped. In the Shack he says some rude things to the kids, and pretty much goes nuts in the hospital wing. I just felt like this was too much for him. He's always been mean and it's always crossed the line a bit for me but this was the icing on the cake. I feel like it went to far especially for the transition he makes at a later date. I know he still is a jerk later on too, but then he's hailed a hero and works right with the people he was so adamant about turning in. I guess that wasnt really his choice though... okay - rant over.
     
     RATING: 
I had a ton of fun reading this book. I was starting to get Harry Potter-ed out, so I'm going to do a little less analyzing and a little more enjoying especially now that this is where things get really good. I started the fourth book last week and those discussion posts will start this weekend. I'm flying right through that one and all the fun new stuff that gets introduced in that book. Out of the three I've re-read so far though, this one was definitely my favorite!

What did you think of this book overall? Is it one of your favorites also, or one you can do without (as if anyone could do without anything Harry Potter)?

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.