Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Harry Potter Read-Along/Discussion [13]

RECAP - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapters 1 - 12

In chapters 1 through 10 of GoF, Harry has a dream (vision) of an incapacitated Voldemort being taken care of by Peter Pettigrew and killing an old man.... plotting to kill Harry. Also, after a particularly boring summer with the Dursley's, Harry spends the remainder of his summer with the Weasleys and gets to go to the Quidditch World Cup. The kids are having the time of their lives until some people in masks called Death Eaters start torturing muggles after the game and someone mysteriously conjures the Dark Mark - Voldemort's mark usually cast when killing someone. Everyone is terrified...

When they finally arrive at Hogwarts, Harry and his friends discover that the "May-eye" Moody Ron's dad had to go rescue the night before is their new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor... and he's got a freaky eye and a wooden leg. But even better than that, Hogwarts will be hosting the Triwizard Tournament for the first time in over a century, and Beauxbaton's and Durmstrang'g wizarding schools will be coming to stay for during the Tournament. Harry and his friends are excited about it, even though there will be no quidditch, and Harry finally gets to sit back and be a normal wizard since no one under 17 is allowed to enter... right?

DISCUSSION

I've noticed that Rowling takes her time with this one. I guess with the success of the last three, she was granted some leeway. In reading 10 chapters, its amazing to me how little happened as compared to reading say 5 chapters in one of the previous books. I don't mind it, trust me! There's much more detail and information as each scene does happen and gives us a bigger insight into the wizarding world we all love so much. I'm pretty much flying through this book and (being at chapter 22) I'm only through the first task and the Yule Ball. Two more tasks and a whole load of tragedy and I'm more than half way through, its kind of amazing.

We find Harry and friends at the Quidditch World Cup which I absolutely adored. Those Omnioculars! I need them for every day life cause I seem to miss a whole lot of every day life. But I particularly loved the little things we come across, including Port Keys, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, the little figurines of the player that shout and cheer,etc. Its just so awesome to see what Rowling has done with the wizarding world and its like you can never run out of amazing things to discover!

Harry's dream - lets discuss the fact that even after three years of Harry being targeted and in danger, he still refuses to tell a freaking adult when he has a problem. Like really!? Harry, haven't you learned your lesson? I mean yes, he does finally tell Sirius what the problem is so I suppose that is an improvement. But come on Harry. You just saw some dark wizards conjure the Dark Mark, you've dealt with Voldemort yourself, twice. What makes you think you shouldn't go right to McGonagall and Dumbledore. Idiot. That has always been a sore spot for me. Maybe because I always look for guidance and Harry is more independent and would rather have the attention off of him rather than drawing it to himself... I get it. But there are lives at stake here, kid.

And yayyy! The Triwizard Tournament! I remember the first time I read this and I felt a little bit like Harry... 'what do you mean, other wizarding schools!?' I was kind of in shock...am still a little bit in shock. Rowling created not only her wizarding world but many others that she barely even scratches the surface of. I can't wait until the Tournament gets under way!

Loving this one even though I distinctly remember years ago that this one was not one of my favorites. Amazing what a few years will do to your opinion, huh? What about you, is this one on the top or bottom of your list? I'm flying right through it, so expect another update soon! :)

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.