Saturday, July 26, 2014

Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi: I'm the Only Person on Earth Who Wasn't Obsessed With It

ISBN: 9780062072092
Source: Purchased
Format: Hardcover
Series: Under the Never Sky #3
Length: 392 pp
Released: January, 2014
Goodreads  |  B&N

     SUMMARY
The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do—and they are just as determined to stay together.
Within the confines of a cave they're using as a makeshift refuge, they struggle to reconcile their people, Dwellers and Outsiders, who are united only in their hatred of their desperate situation. Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. Then Roar arrives in a grief-stricken fury, endangering all with his need for revenge.
Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble an unlikely team for an impossible rescue mission. Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival--he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.
     REVIEW

This is going to be one of those reviews where all of you are wondering what book I read because it obviously wasn't the same one you did. You all probably adored this book, gave it eleventy-three stars as compared to my four. And my four was a grudging four. I was leaning toward three and a half but I knew there was no real reason for me not to love it. It just felt like something unnameable was missing from the story for me.

After reading Through the Ever Night, I felt a little disenchanted with the whole thing - the sparkle of the first book had worn off for me. I mentioned in my last two reviews of this series that I wished the story had explored the Realms more. I enjoyed the world building of the outside, the "Deathshop" as it's called in the first book, I really did. But it just didn't expand enough on the things I really wanted to know.

The story itself was just fine. Enjoyable. There's no logical reason not to have loved it. So really, I'm just going to cut it short by saying everything was great. Just great. Why didn't I absolutely love it? I'm not quite sure. I guess I lost interest and it didn't make me need to read it or know what happened. The ending at least was satisfying, I will admit that. Nothing went quite the way I expected but I was happy with it nonetheless and all in all, it was a great series.

RATING: ★★★★ - Enjoyed it
I liked Into the Still Blue. I enjoyed the writing, the characters, especially Roar, who was the source of about 80% of my emotions with this book. Aria and Perry another 10% and Cinder the rest. (Cinder <3) Something was definitely missing for me in this book and the last one. I enjoyed the first one so much and then the rest of the series went off in a direction I just wasn't interested in.

Like I said, it wasn't a bad book. It was great actually and I liked reading it. But I didn't love it. That doesn't mean you won't! Actually, most of you probably have a heart, so that means you probably will love it. I definitely would recommend this series to YA and dystopian lovers. It was incredibly unique considering how much dystopian has flooded the market and I think it's something a lot of people would enjoy (because tons of people already do!)

Have you read Into the still Blue? What did you think of it as a series ender? It was good but fell a little flat for me. Did you love it or was it a little meh for you as well? And what did you think about the series as a whole? Loved? Liked? Hated? I'm really interested in hearing from someone who didn't like this series since most of the world absolutely adores it.

Can't wait to hear from you!
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.