Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

ISBN: 9781595143068
Source: Purchased
Series: Vampire Academy #6
Release Date: January 1, 2010
Goodreads  |  Amazon
See reviews for previous books in this series
*THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR BOOKS 1-5*

     SYNOPSIS:
Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules. She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir's Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardians to come.
Now the law has finally caught up with Rose - for a crime she didn't even commit. She's in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She'll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.
But the clock on Rose's life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back...and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your whole life is about saving others, who will save you?
     REVIEW:

So after the events of Spirit Bound, I think we were all kind of expecting an epic conclusion to the series, amiright? Wellll.... about that...

Last Sacrifice picks up very shortly after Spirit Bound and moves right into the action. The story is action packed and, yes, you guessed it: DI. MI. TRI! The romance was pretty much perfect except for a few blips in the form of Adrian, whom I adore, just not for Rose. On that note, I am pretty excited for what I expect to be a boat load of character development for him in Bloodlines, because he needs it, badly.

Anyway, there's not much left to say after having reviewed the first five books in the series. We know that the world-building was pretty good throughout the series. I think it was a little strange how some new things were thrown in with this last book that had never existed before but I hope to see more of those things in the spinoff anyway.

I had the majority of this series spoiled for me accidentally, but somehow this book did throw me a few curveballs I was not expecting, and I was pleasantly surprised. However, all in all, I think Last Sacrifice was a lazy (not to mention a little too convenient) ending  to a pretty good series. It had the potential for so much more! The entirety of this book builds up for a BANG of an ending, but **warning - spoiler** with Rose being incapacitated, we miss out entirely on Lissa taking the throne, and she just shows up kind of like.. "Oh hey, I'm the Queen, btw." **end spoiler** The book was pretty long, but I think some of the less important scenes could have been cut out and more added to the ending that deserved way better.

With that being said, I did still enjoy this book. Rose's sarcasm gets better with every book and I found myself cracking up with her several times. I loved the romance and the book was rather action packed. It wasn't a perfect book, but I enjoyed it.

RATING:  4 stars - Pretty Good

Good ending to a good series. In my opinion, the series as a whole gets a "Pretty Good" rating from me, or in other words, 4 out of 5 stars. Not amazing but I enjoyed it and I loved the romance and the world is so unique and fun to be a part of.

Have you finished this entire series? What did you think of this final installment and the series as whole?

Get a Second Opinion
Kat Kennedy's Review (Goodreads) [2 of 5 stars]
Choice Reads [3 of 5 stars]
Team Tynga's Reviews [5 of 5 stars}

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.