Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter

ISBN: 9780373210671
Source: Purchased
Series: The Goddess Test #3
Release Date: February 26, 2013
Find it on Goodreads
See my review of other books in this series

     GOODREADS SYNOPSIS:

During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.
In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.
With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.
Even if it costs her eternity.
     REVIEW:

I read this book shortly after reading Carter's first in her newest series, Pawn. I guess I'll just come right out with it - I didn't love this book either. When I read the first book in the Goddess Test series, I enjoyed it very much, but I think I was enjoying being immersed in another Greek mythology novel, and didn't look to deep into the rest of the story. When I read the second book, Goddess Interrupted, I couldn't find the love I had for the first book in the second one. I wondered idly if this was a case of middle book syndrome, a filler book, and that the third one would be more like the first. Well... it was not.

The plot in The Goddess Inheritance was poorly executed, and now I can see that the same goes for Pawn and the other two books in this particular series. It seems to me that Carter's strong suit is developing relationships in her novels and coming up with promising ideas for the plot, but she doesn't really follow through. There were some major plot holes, and (just like in the other books I mentioned) part of the way through, I started to become confused and wondered if I was missing something in the story altogether, because I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. In some cases, this issue was resolved. In others, I just barreled forward and decided I didn't care enough about the story to try to figure out what I apparently misunderstood.

I disliked Kate a lot in this final installment. Don't get me wrong, she was whiny and weepy for much of the series, but this one... I just couldn't stand it.The only saving grace was that I actually liked Henry a lot in this one. If you have skimmed my past reviews in this series, you will see that there was not much there for me in the way of Henry and that I particularly disliked the way his dialogue was presented. I still hated that aspect, but Henry was a much stronger character this time around in my opinion... and almost a little swoon worthy.

Something else that bothered me... and this may sound a little ridiculous... but there is a baby in this book, and the baby is only a few days old through most of it from what I recall. Carter constantly wrote things describing the baby as reaching for someone or something or smiling or having some sort of emotion. I have been around a lot of babies in my life. The ones that just escaped their mother's womb yesterday generally do not reach for things during say, week one - at least not on purpose. It just annoyed me. I don't care how immortal this baby is.. it is NOT reaching for anyone!!

When I first finished the book, I was somewhat pleased with the way it ended... or maybe I was just pleased that it ended. But after some further thought, I realized that it all happened way too easily, just like in some of her other books. The ending was a bit of a cop out in a situation where more action could have been used (Carter has a problem with writing action scenes, too).

All in all, this was not a favorite series of mine and I don't really see myself recommending it to anyone who really values my opinion because.. well... I'd feel like a fool. I am in desperate need to read Percy Jackson right now to get the bad Greek taste out of my mouth and have some real adventure in my life.

     RATING: ★★ 1/2

For a girl who loves and is obsessed with Greek mythology, this one was a bit of a disappointment to me. I didn't expect anything to be as on point and amazing as PJ, but I guess I'd hoped for a bit more. I think it was a little too juvenile for my tastes without really meaning to be juvenile (hence all the sex). The writing was a bit too simple and the plot poorly executed, so all around, I am just not a fan.

Have any of you read this series in its entirety? What did you think of it as compared to how I feel? I'd love to hear why you all love it or don't love it!

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.