Monday, August 11, 2014

Leo by Mia Sheridan

ISBN: 9781490339979
Format: Kindle eBook
Source: Purchased
Series: No, Stand Alone
Released: November, 2013
Length: 191 pp
Goodreads  |  Amazon

     SUMMARY
Evie and Leo met in foster care as children and formed a bond of friendship. As they grew, their bond turned to love, and they vowed to make a life together when they turned 18 and were no longer a part of the system.
When Leo unexpectedly gets adopted as a teen and he moves to another city, he promises Evie that he will contact her as soon as he gets there and come back for her in a few short years. She never hears from him again.
Now eight years later, in spite of the odds, Evie has made a life for herself. She has a job. She has friends. She's content. Then a man shows up out of the blue, claiming that her long lost love, Leo, sent him to check up on her. The attraction between them is undeniable. But, should she trust this sexy stranger? Or is he keeping a secret about what his connection to Leo is really all about and why Leo disappeared all those years ago?
     REVIEW

Coming off the high of Sheridan's Archer's Voice, I convinced myself I would read anything and everything ever written by Mia Sheridan. I freaking loved Archer's Voice and I was convinced I'd love Leo, too. The premise was so intriguing (just like AV), so unlike anything I'd come across in the NA genre so I was expecting big things.

I noticed right away that Leo felt pretty rushed in the beginning (just like in AV), but I kind of forgave that because I'd loved the last one and hadn't minded the rushed beginning by the time I'd gotten to the end. Unfortunately, things didn't really get too much better as I'd hoped.

The story surrounds itself around about a guy, Jake, who shows up claiming to know Evie's childhood friend/love Leo (whom she met in foster care and lost touch with years and years ago) and that Jake tracked Evie down because he was doing Leo a solid (plus a whole lot of other things that I won't spoil that do make the premise more interesting). Getting into the story, I had a hard time believing some of the things that were happening and though it was easy for me to figure out what was going on, I didn't necessarily like how it got to that point.

My main issue other than a rushed story and some awkward dialogue was that Jake, the male lead, is basically Christian Grey without the contract thing. This wasn't a BDSM story but Jake was the embodiment of over-aggressiveness, possessiveness and controlling edging on the point of unhealthy. I hate those relationships. I'm all for reading about real (yet healthy) relationships with a bit of jealousy or fighting or a tad bit of possessiveness (because we can all admit that being possessed by a sexy man can be hot), but not this. It was like Christian forcing Anastasia to eat and work out and accept expensive gifts all over again. It was just a huge turn off.

Overall I just couldn't get into it because this was supposed to be a romance and the romance completely turned me off, which sucked because the back story, while somewhat unbelievable, was cute and sad and melted my heart.

     THE BREAKDOWN



RATING: ★★★ - It was OK

Leo wasn't a bad read, but it surely was no Archer's Voice. The romance was overdone and the controlling over-possessive male lead totally turned me off. The subplot regarding Evie's past life was cute and sad and really touching when it was all said and done but I just couldn't enjoy this one as much as I really, really wanted to. Luckily Archer's Voice came after Leo so Sheridan's writing obviously improved somewhat. Anything she comes out with next I might give a try but I definitely won't be reading the Leo companion novel, Leo's Chance.

Have you read Leo? What did you think? And have you read anything else by Mia Sheridan? I've loved one of her books and felt kind of meh about another so I'd love to hear what you guys think of this author before I try something else. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!


A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.