Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

ISBN: 9781423171027
Source: Purchased
Format: Hardcover
Series: Starbound #1
Released: November 20, 2013
Goodreads  |  Amazon

     SUMMARY:
"It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?
Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it."
     REVIEW:

I was so incredibly excited when I finally was able to pick this book up back in February. The cover is gorgeous, the premise sounds amazing, the reviews are great. I started reading it and was pleasantly surprised at the solid writing and strong characters. Sadly though, I was slightly disappointed as I read further into the story. It was just good. I was hoping for something amazing, something mind-blowing but unfortunately it was not.

The pacing was pretty good at first but then about half way through, I was really ready for things to pick up and they just didn't. I felt like I spent the entire time waiting to "get to the good part". I was convinced that something big and epic was coming and while something did happen toward the end that gave me the scare of my life, it wasn't the epic thing I was looking for. Frankly, I just didn't think the author capitalized on all of the potential this story had.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I still did really enjoy this book. I LOVED the romance. It was my favorite aspect of the book. Tarver was downright hysterical and so swoon-worthy and I just loved him and Lilac together.

The writing was absolutely beautiful and the story was haunting and sometimes a little scary, to be honest. If I were Lilac, I think I would've freaked the hell out about halfway through the story. I also think the world-building was pretty well done but I just need more. I expect that we will get more with the release of This Shattered World in November of this year, but that is only a companion novel so while we will get more world building, will we get more Lilac and Tarver in any way? I need MORE!

RATING: ★★★★ Really Liked It!

I was hoping for something amazing when I sat down to read this book and while I did really like it, it wasn't mind-blowing or anything. The pacing was just too slow and I spent a lot of time waiting for something big to happen. With that being said, I adored the characters, the romance the world building and especially the writing which was amazing and beautiful.

I really want to read the next book because I believe the authors can build on the set up made by TBS and come up with something excellent.

Have any of you read TBS? If so, what did you think? Did the writing and great characters do it for you and you loved it with all your heart? Or, like me, did the pacing and lack of action kind of let you down a bit, but you still really liked it? Or (and I hope not) did you just hate it altogether? I'd love to know what you think!

Happy Reading!
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.