Thursday, May 1, 2014

Review: Bossypants by Tina Fey

ISBN: 9780316056878
Source: Gift
Format: Paperback
Series: None, stand-alone
Released: April 5, 2011
Goodreads | Amazon

     SUMMARY:
Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.
At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.
Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.
     REVIEW:

Bossypants was the first book non-fiction I've read for review. Reading a non-fiction book was one of my goals for 2014 and I decided to start with a memoir because I didn't think a self-help or history book would be too fun to read or review. Bossypants, on the other hand,was super fun to read and really easy to talk about. Mostly because it is about one of the funniest women in television!

Tina Fey's memoir was so funny. But (and there is a "but").... it wasn't laughing-my-guts-out funny. I wasn't disappointed by that though. The parts that weren't that funny instead were touching or endearing and rather interesting (about her career, etc.). I actually found Fey really relatable in the sense that she didn't always feel confident or think she had what it would take to make it in the business she was in, but she went for things and tried things and hey, here she is. She's Tina Fey! SNL Sarah-Palin-impersonator-extraordinaire (I love those skits)!
RATING: ★★★★ Really liked it!

All in all, while there were points where it seemed like Fey was trying too hard to be funny, I actually did laugh out loud quite a few times and thoroughly enjoyed learning more about her as a person and about her career.

I'll say that for my first non-fiction read on the blog, it was a success! I was really nervous going into it because I'm a huge romance/dystopia/fantasy/sci-fi fan and I wasn't sure how a true story was going to go for me. I've only ever read a few other memoirs and they were all really sad ones, like that one about Jaycee Dugard being kidnapped and stuff. While those were really captivating, it was a nice change to read something happy and encouraging and that made me laugh out loud.

Have any of you read Bossypants? If so, what did you think? Did she have you cracking up laughing like I was? If you haven't read it, how interested are you in reading non-fiction and memoirs? Is this a goal of yours also or do you only read fiction? I'd love to hear what you think!

Happy Reading!
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers! Make sure you leave a link to your blog and let me know if you're following, and I'll pay you a visit and follow back! :)

A.